Learn how to make a faux leather keychain using your Cricut. This sweet keychain features a heart design using layered faux leather and iron-on vinyl. It’s great to make for yourself or as a gift for your sweetheart.
If you’re new to Cricut, be sure to check out these Cricut tutorials for beginners.
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn’t consider myself the most romantic person ever, but there’s something about the imagery of Valentine’s Day that I love. Valentine’s crafts are my favorite! Why are hearts so cute?
So, I made this cute heart keychain with faux leather and iron-on vinyl. Layering iron-on vinyl over faux leather is a great way to add more color.
I already have a lot of iron-on vinyl colors but only so many faux leather colors. Pink and red are my current color combo obsession, so I used those colors, but feel free to use whatever colors you want.
DIY Faux Leather Keychain
- Cricut (I used my Cricut Maker 3)
- Faux Leather
- Iron-on Vinyl (I used Pink)
- Standard Mat
- Weeding Tools
- EasyPress Mini
- EasyPress Mat
- Heat Resistant Tape
- Parchment Paper
Notes About Supplies
I used this faux leather and loved how easy it was to cut. It uses the standard fine-point blade, and any machine can cut it.
Faux leather is also available in other colors, textures, and patterns. I haven’t used this pack myself, but the reviews are good.
Real leather can be cut, but it’s more difficult, and you need a knife point blade, which only works with the Cricut Maker.
I used my EasyPress Mini because I was working on a bunch of small crafts, and I wanted to try it out. I love how simple it is to use.
However, you can use whatever heat press you own. You can even use an iron if you want. Just make sure to set it on the lowest setting possible to avoid melting the faux leather.
I used Aleene’s tacky glue, but I should have used E-6000. It’s a much stronger glue that is more suitable for a craft like this.
Do NOT use hot glue. Faux leather melts pretty easily, so it’s not a good idea.
Cutting the Design
- Upload the design as usual.
- Apply the iron-on vinyl shiny side down to the standard mat.
- Load the mat and cut as usual. (Use the everyday Iron-on setting)
- Unload the mat and remove the iron-on vinyl.
- Apply the faux leather to the mat, fuzzy side up.
- Select Faux Leather (Paper Thin) under the fabric setting.
- Cut as usual.
- Before unloading the mat, check to make sure that it cuts through the faux leather.
Applying Iron-on Vinyl to Faux Leather
- Weed the iron-on vinyl as usual.
- Place the weeded design onto the faux leather keychain body.
- Use heat-resistant tape to keep the design in place. I tape it to the EasyPress mat, and it stays.
- Cover the design with parchment paper.
- Press the temperature button to turn on the EasyPress Mini. It’s set to low, the perfect temperature for iron-on vinyl and faux leather use.
- The EasyPress mini is ready when it turns green.
- Apply the EasyPress for 10 seconds.
- Remove the EasyPress and return it to its cradle.
- Repeat for the other side of the keychain.
- Don’t forget to turn the EasyPress mini off when you’re finished using it.
Assembling the Faux Leather Keychain
- Pinch the heart shape together and squeeze the keychain over the shape so it’s in the middle.
- Apply glue to the inside of the heart. Spread it with a brush if needed.
- Press the shapes together, cleaning up any glue that comes out as you go.
- Place the keychain under something heavy until the glue dries.
- Enjoy your cute new keychain!
Download a Free Heart Keychain SVG
Free downloads are for personal use only. Please do not redistribute or sell.
Other Valentine’s Day Crafts
- Infusible Ink Marker Mug
- Watercolor Valentine’s Day Card
- Valentine’s Day Love Letter Banner
- Faux Leather Lightning Bolt Earrings
Pin for Later!